Saturday 21 January 2012

The Mexican Adventure Continues...

So and adventure: We left at 8:30am to head to the ruins of tehoticuachan. We stopped on the way to be given a tour of a cooperative that makes traditional craft out of semi-precious stones, agave fibers and tequila, Mezecal and pulque. The tequila was the best I have ever had. Best stratergy for selling stuff, get the customers drunk!

 Fun Fact #4: The agave plant is an all in one plant! It takes 7 years to mature but once mature, the heart can be cut and paper can be pulled off the leaves in sheets, the tip can be cut off and pulled with fibers to make a needle and thread, the leaves are dried to make into cloth, and the sap from the blue agave makes the finest tequila.

We then headed over to the Ruins of Teoticuachan which is a city that pre-dates the Aztecs who discovered the ruins and believed that this was the city where huge gods created the world, hence City of the Gods, Teotichuan. The landscape is dominated by the two step pyramids, the temples of the moon and Sun. We got to climb both of them and the view was incredible. The steps where so steep that it was more comfortable to crawl. As much fun as it was, racing up the stairs, I couldn't forget the people that crawled to their deaths on these pyramids. Human sacrifice took place here. Children's remains were found near the temple dedicated to Tlaoc, the rain god. After the ruins we headed out to Guadalupe. I slept even through the 15 min maccas stop. I couldn't do it three days in a row. The shrine complex is huge, encompassing the Teppayac hill where the apparitions occurred and includes 8 churches. The oldest dating from the mid 16th century to the newest being th 1972 where the tilma is now kept. A legion of Mary priest joined us for a bit of a tour. I skipped that went to confession and had some time with my own thoughts. I started my first novena ever at the shrine! I will keep that going for the next nine days. The image is incredible. Intact I will devote a whole post to the symbolism in the image explained to us by Armando and Fr Ryan.

One of the things that struck me the most was the culture around Guadalupe. It was alive bustling with families! Parents brining their babies to present to our lady and light candles for them. little wizened grandmas teaching their grandchildren the story in the murals and places in the shrine. It's also an active parish and there is mass every hour. If there ever was a patron of life, it is her. Mexicans from all walks of life gathered in the shrine to celebrate family milestones and kids ran around laughing and playing in between the rituals and times of prayer. It was such a start contrast to the masses and rituals we have at home. They seem austere and burdensome. No wonder people leave the church in droves! This is not so here. Faith is clearly alive and working under the wings of our lady. 

Prayer of the Day:
Holy Mother, your love knows no bounds! I thank you for the gift of the your image which in my weakness and folly draws me closer to you and to your son. Holy mother, walk with me and intercede with your son on my behalf as l continue my faith journey and my life long pilgrimage. 
Amen.
Our lady of Guadalupe, mother of life and passion, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment