Saturday 21 January 2012

Charity and Hope

Today didn't start all that well! Instead of setting my alarm for 7 am, I turned off and got a wake up call at 8:20 when we were supposed to have left at 8! Jodie didnt set an alarm herself so we were both unpleasanly surprised! I have never got dressed so fast in my life. I was on the bus by 8:25! It was 2 hours in mexican traffic to Santa Fe where the daughter of charity's house is. I honestly didn't know what to expect. We were greeted by the only sister in the house, the others were with the postulants taking classes and formation. They only way I can adequately describe this sister is she looked like a harassed mother. But the happiest harrassed mother I have ever seen! I don't think she would have traded her job for anything. She gave us a five minute introduction to the work they do and gave us a quick tour.

It was straight into the deep end  the sisters introduced us to Fatima and another little boy. Fatima was four but had a terrible case of Hydrocephaelus that left her bedridden and severly intellectually disabled. The other boy whos name I could not remember was nine and had a rare condition that cased an intolerance to food and had to be fed directly to his stomach. He wasnt much bigger than Fatima and couldnt speak. The sisters have about 19 babies in the nursery upto the age of 9. Most of them were intellectually and physically disabled with what I think is cerebral palsy, but we didn't get their full story. There are another 7 (or so) young adults who are all severely disabled. They cannot talk or feed themselves. My favorite was Lolita, she was one of the worst physically but the most capable mentally, she understood my broken Spanish better than anyone! There were also about 25 adults and elderly living there as well, all disabled in some way, mentally and physically. After our whirlwind tour the sister split us up and sent us to the different sections.

I went with, Sam, Jo, Soren and Caroline to come and talk with the adults and elderly. Sam and I were tying to chat with them and I felt a warm hand grab mine, I looked down and a tiny little lady with smiling eyes looke at me and told me her name was Lucia, she became my new best friend! Next thing we know, we're taking them down to the refectory and I got handed a bowl by a volunteer and pointed me to a lady whos name I didn't know. She was very disabled, she could barely move her limbs and she couldnt really communicate. She was like a very small child. I fed her and I felt a very profound sense of the beauty of life. Most would look at her with pity and would say her life is worthless suffering. They are right, it is suffering, but not worthless. I know what Jesus said when he said we feed him when he was hungry. I teared up but I couldn't waste time. There was work to be done! We spent the rest of the day playing with the kids and talking with the adults. We had mass when the postulants and sisters came back at 3 and they sang us thankyou songs and we had a good chat with them. It was then the long trip in Mexican traffic back to the hotel. Some went out shopping but I just wanted some alone time which I certainly needed after that day!

Prayer of the Day:
Jesus, bless each and everyone of the children and women in the care of the Missionaries of Charity. Grant their life be one of peace and good health. Look after your brides who care for you children. Guide them on the path that brings them closer to you and give them the energy, love and light they need to serve those who most desperately need it. 
Amen.
Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us and your daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment