Monday 16 January 2012

Landing in Mexico!

Our bad luck with buses continues today. After being awake at 4:30 am for a 6 am start, I got dressed and went to maccas for brekky. The only basic difference between American maccas and Aussie maccas is the calories, everything is about double the calories and I swear you could wring out the grease from it! Never again...

Our bus didn't come on time, but once we were on it was a straight shot to the airport with the LA sunrise. We got through security surprisingly quickly and settled into wait for our flight at 8:30 am. Sam shared a bit of his story and I accidently let slip the 'T' word. We were all in the same area of the plane and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to sleep, but I ended up sleeping on and off the entire flight! I was amazed. One of the girls got motion sickness on the landing (which was a shocker) and had to get a jab for it. So we were late for mass at the Cathedral again! We got to our hotel which is amazing and right in the centre of the City! I thought we would be roughing it a least a bit! We had mass in the Chapel of the Holy Angels, a little alcove in the Cathedral which is just covered with gold.

Fun Fact #3: Mexico City is built directly over the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan in the middle of lake Texcoco. The cathedral was built from the ashes of the major temple in the city and it is currently sinking.

We became good friends with the masters of ceremonies Fr Francesco and he showed us where to buy the best (and best value) jewelry. I went a bit nuts! At this point is 7 in th evening and we were all starving. Most of us missed lunch, I slept through the plane lunch which you had to buy anyway. We had dinner at 8 and it was really really good! Even though I would have eaten just about anything at that point. I am exhausted now and I will sleep like a baby tonight!

Prayer of the Day:
Lord, I pray for hope. So many live without this life-giving virtue, so many fall into despair because of the poverty, violence and injustice in our world. Lord, you know all things, give us the strength to be moved not to despair but to action in love of our neighbour.
Amen.
Blessed Virgin, who bore hope incarnate, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment