Monday 30 January 2012

Rest in Conneticut

I woke up for the first time without an alarm at dawn (which is around 7am) after having the best sleep this whole trip! I then got dressed and headed down for morning prayer and Mass which was a lovely way to start the day. The chapel has beautiful stained glass windows that I didn't see lastnight. They only have about 3 colours in it but the effect is very striking.

After mass I headed into the hall way waiting for the breakfast bell and was wondering about the opprotunity to do some laundry. All of a sudden appeared Sister Mary-Karen who said "you look like you want to do laundry." I was a bit stunned and I said "That is just scary! How did you know that?" "Well good! I am designating you 'Head Laundress!' Follow me and I'll show you where it all is." So I was given a tour of the laundry and then eagerly headed for brekkie, which was good, bagels, eggs, all kinds of spreads except vegemite...

The schedule for the day was relaxing. After brekkie and clean up, we headed for the Gibeny room for our first session which was a broad overview of the history of the Pro-life movement in the US which was quite interesting. Unlike Australia, the abortion issue in the US became a huge problem not just because of the immorality of the issue, but almost equally because of the way that it was done. One Supreme Court (High Court is Australian equivalent) ruled that abortion was legal in a court decision that basically over-rode all of the State legislation that were put in place by elected representatives. Before 1973, abortion was only permitted in extreme cases of rape, incest and if the health of the mother was strictly at risk in almost every state. If it's one thing that irks Americans more, it is the Federal Government muscling in on more local State matters. The anti-abortion movement initally, therefore, had a very political emphasis in strategy and was primarily focused on the babies, and the human rights of the babies. Change began to occur towards the end of the 80s when it became apparent that the 'right' to abortion was now entrenced and mainstream. It was also apparent that abortion was terribly wounding for women and decided in situations where there was a real perception of little other options. The anti-abortion movement began to answer its critics that it was anti-women and became much more women focused. Around this time, then Bishop John O'Connor visited Dachau Concentration camp and experienced a mystical call to protect and defend the dignity of all human life and that the battle against this demon could only be won through prayer and fasting. He began the Sisters of Life as a response to this call. The current trend in the pro-life movement is a combination of all these approaches, the rights of the babies, the care and support of mothers and prayer.

We then got to meet and chat with all the postulants who are amazing! There were also two Kiwi postulants and so we all helped teach the Americans cricket because they brought a set. It was a lot of fun, especially watching them try to bowl! I went for a walk exploring the grounds. I saw a couple of squirrels and I found deer tracks as well. I hoped I could see some!

After lunch we had a long talk by Sister Bethany about the Charism of the Sisters of Life. They are truly amazing women. They are a contemplative/active order, meaning they spend half their time in prayer and the other half working with women in crisis pregnancies, running post-abortion healing retreats for men and women and all sorts of other things involving life issues. These women were so in love with Jesus and they just poured it out everywhere and to everyone.

Evening was falling and it was time for rosary, evening prayer and adoration. I bundled up and went for a walk around the grounds instead. I needed to move. I was struggling with myself a bit. I just asked for a sign. Something that would show me he was listening. I was walking and praying and something made me look up. About 100 meters away was a big stag looking straight at me. He had two does by his side. He had caught my scent and stayed another 30 seconds before he turned tail and led his does back into the woods. That was all I needed. I sat under a tree listening to to the soft hoof beats of the deer as they cautiously came backe. I felt some sense of peace that at least I was looking in the right direction and God was there with me. I headed back inside for the rest of Adoration and vespers. I don't think I mentioned that the Sisters sounded like angels! Afterwards was a hearty dinner and fake fireside chats (the fire was fake, that is, not the conversation!) I had a lot on my mind to think about, but I was still very tired, and I was looking foreward to the 5:30 am start tomorrow!

Dear Lord,
Love me and keep me close to your heart where I am safe.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment